Tuesday 4 November 2014

The perfect flapjack.


I had my next post planned, I prepared the fruit, made the mixture and put it into the oven and then I had to abandon it part way through its bake. When I put it back in the oven the next day it took forever for the centre to cook through and resulted in the edges being rather tough. Not what you want in a cake. I'll have to readdress that post at a later date but I'll keep the subject a mystery until then so as to not spoil the surprise!

I was craving something sweet today but didn't fancy venturing out into the cold. When I want something sweet, warm and quick my go-to recipe is flapjack. I haven't met a person yet who doesn't like flapjacks. My sisters partner loves them so much he doesn't win brownie points, they're converted into flapjack points! 
There are a bajillion different recipes for these oaty goodies. Forget about the fillings or toppings and there are still a million ranging from the crispy and light to the dense, gooey, sticky variety. My bestest makes hers with condensed milk or there are (much) healthier versions. It all comes down to personal taste. My own taste is sweet and buttery, sticky in the middle and crispy and golden on the edges and my favourite recipe so far is good old Lyles Golden Syrup for its classic simplicity. 
I've used it many times for a quick craving cure, sometimes with a little less abandon: not measuring the ingredients or leaving it in the oven a little too long. Today I weighed the ingredients carefully, timed the baking to the minute and the golden wonder came out perfectly! A crispy golden edge, crumbly yet sticky and moist in the middle, spot on. Flapjacks are one of the easiest things to make and can be done in 30mins with minimal washing up. They can go wrong very easily so take the time to measure properly and you'll have instant success! Be patient and wait for them to cool (if you can resist) otherwise they'll just fall apart. 


No comments:

Post a Comment