Thursday 6 November 2014

It's not a celebration without cake!

There is no better reason to eat cake than in celebration. It's an integral guest at any birthday, Christmas, baby shower, wedding, engagement, retirement, anniversary etc. etc. celebration and if you haven't got cake at your party then you're not doing it right!


Todays special occasion is very special and a little unusual. A friend at work was in court yesterday to find out if she could (finally) adopt a little girl and she has been accepted! There is such a buzz of excitement in the air around the my team so cake was obviously needed, but what to bake?!


I thought I'd go for a baby shower type them as the girl she is adopting is only a few month old, so lots of pink. I wanted to do a gradient caked covered in a buttercream piped rose design (I've not tried these before but I think they're so pretty). I decided against it because it's rather difficult to serve without a kitchen, cupcakes however are perfect to pick up and eat on the go. Pintrest is full of inspiration and I took a few ideas from some of the cupcakes on there, including the piped buttercream roses.


I also took this opportunity to practice my sugar craft skills. I've made a good amount of occasion cakes using roll out icing and crafting various shapes, particularly flowers for my brothers wedding cakes (note the plural- all 8 of them). I'm no expert but I think I'm pretty decent for an amateur and I will use any opportunity to practice and improve these skills, however I'm far too messy a worker for them to ever be perfect and I will forever live in awe of those who can perfect the skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment