Thursday 2 April 2015

So many colours!

While I was looking for a Guinness cake recipe I came across Cupcake Jemma on YouTube. One of her other videos is a rainbow layer cake and it's something I've wanted to try for a while. In the video she recommends gel colours as they have a stronger pigment, so naturally I went shopping!
I decided that the 6 colours I planned to use for the rainbow cake would provide a good base of colours for other projects. These were Rose, Violet, Lemon Yellow, Royal Blue, Leaf Green and No Taste Red (apparently bright reds need a lot of gel which can cause a strange taste so this one has no taste) all by Wilton. The colours worked brilliantly, very easy to mix and gave a strong, deep colour so I'd really recommend them if you're looking for some.
I found that Jemma's method for weighing out equal amounts of cake dough was very helpful in creating equal layers. My other new toy, a cake leveler, really helped achieve uniformity in the layers. I also bought myself a long spatula to try and achieve those crisp, smooth finishes. I think that's going to need some more practice though. I did not go to the extremes that Jemma went into to achieve absolute perfection, such as cutting the edges off, as I didn't feel it needed it.  Having equal and level layers was enough to make it look neat and professional.
When I was planning this cake I considered going for a plain white, crisp finish with a colourful cake topper but without the materials to create the topper I decided to go for hundreds & thousands. There is apparently no easier way to do this other than patting them into the wet frosting my hand. It will be awkward, it will be messy and you will find the little blighters in every nook and cranny of your kitchen but the effect is worth it. It's colourful, adorable and hides any imperfections in your frosting technique.




Despite the hundreds & thousands the hardest thing about this cake was not being able to cut into it and knowing that that rainbow surprise was hidden inside. Luckily I was sent some pictures so I can share the magic with you guys.



No comments:

Post a Comment